We are passionate about the inclusion, development and education of children and young people with Down syndrome. All of our training courses and support sessions are aimed at improving the lives of people with Down syndrome and working towards a more inclusive society
THE IMPORTANCE OF TRAINING
Our charity was formed in September 2000 with the objective of providing training and support to all adults living and working with children and young people who have Down syndrome.
Over the years we have developed over ten different training courses covering many areas of learning and delivered them not only in Bradford but across the country and beyond; including Denmark and India. Our training has been applauded many, many times and we know it makes a big difference to the inclusion, education and development of any child who needs additional input and understanding; not just children with Down syndrome.
Our most popular course, Introduction to Down syndrome was developed by Wendy Uttley in 2005 and now has CPD accreditation. Last year it was delivered 18 times to a total of 400 people. We believe that ALL schools should undertake this training to enable them to fully understand and meet the needs of a child with Down syndrome in their setting. Without a good understanding of how best to communicate with, instruct and successfully teach a child with Down syndrome, and why such inclusion is so important and vital to the child’s future life, there is a chance that school staff will begin to flounder, the child’s needs will not be met and the placement will begin to deteriorate.
We base this statement on many years of experience and involvement with schools. In particular, over 2017/18, we have seen an increase in the number of children, around year 2, displaying unwanted behaviours in classrooms leading to many negative experiences for that child, the school and all involved. Currently, most of our inhouse training demands are around behaviour management and modification. We feel that this does not need to be the case. If specific training was in place covering literacy, numeracy, signing, communication and understanding of the learning profile of a child with Down syndrome such behaviours may not arise.
Quoting the Equality Act 2010:
‘...it requires thought to be given in advance to what disabled children and young people might require and what adjustments might need to be made to prevent that disadvantage.’
TO BOOK YOUR TRAINING PLEASE VISIT
We run lots of educational, intervention and support groups at the centre giving parents and school staff the opportunity to share experiences and learn from each other. These include:
- Speech and language group sessions for children and young people aged 5 to adult, delivered by specifically training therapists
- Early development groups for babies and children aged 12 months to 6 years delivered be highly experienced and trained staff
- A large range of specific training courses
Specific Training Courses.
We run a range of different Training Courses, which are in depth and affordable. They are all held on our premises, which are perfectly placed for attendees to arrive by public transport. All courses can be viewed and booked via our Training Page, but here are a few examples of what we run on a permanent basis:
- Including children with Down syndrome - An Introduction
- Signing for children with Down syndrome
- Using visual resources to develop the language and communication skills of children with Down syndrome
- Teaching children with Down syndrome and other learning difficulties basic number skills using the Numicon approach
- ME: My body, my friends, my life – Sexuality relationships education for parents and school staff working with children and young people who have Down syndrome
- The inclusion of children with Down syndrome - expectations of behaviour
- Reading, language intervention for children with Down syndrome
- Can I catch the bus? Teaching children with Down syndrome and other learning disabilities time and money skills
- Toilet training for all ages
- Clicker 6/7
- School assemblies
If the cost of our training is prohibitive to attendance you are welcome to join the session for free. However we ask that you please remember us in your fundraising efforts, thank you.
We run a fantastic array of social events and activities which enable young people with Down syndrome to have fun in a safe and relaxed environment. We have a dance troupe and a youth club for all ages, to name but a few. Please see our Newsletter for more details.
For more details on up coming courses, select the relevant course from the list on the right hand side of the page. Alternatively, click here to browse all of our training courses
Resources can be purchased which support our training courses. Click here to purchaseSPRING SUMMER 2020 TRAINING BOOK A5